Sunday, November 25, 2012

Teaching the Young'uns

My oldest daughter, Miss S, asked me last night if she could 'hand sew' like I do. A huge part of me was SO THRILLED and honoured that she would want to be like me and part of me was trying to figure out how I could let her 'hand sew' something without drawing blood.  ;)   Then it hit me - Plastic Canvas!!! I don't remember playing on it when I was a kid but I must have since pretty much everyone does some sort of plastic canvas sewing when they are little.

I was going to get the girls just some big squares of plastic canvas to practice on then we found a little package of 10 stars and another package of 10 hearts and I thought those would be perfect for Christmas Ornaments for the tree this year.  Plus they are small enough for a good 20 minute craft and a few might make their way to some Grandparents houses for their trees if the girls continue to really enjoy making them.

Thankfully Mr. C took a long nap this afternoon and we were able to sit down in the living room and have a pretty good 'intro to Plastic Canvas 101' session.  Such concentration!!

I apologize for the picture quality - its from Instagram  
All and all they both did a fantastic job!  Miss S (my 5 year old) is really into patterns so I helped her keep her stitches all going mostly the same way.  We had a few mistakes but nothing a little reverse stitching didn't fix.  Miss L (my 3 year old) went with the 'wing it' method (I wonder where she got that from?!?!!?) and pretty much just went to town with putting the (very) bunt needle in anywhere and maybe pulling the thread all the way out, but most of the time it was a hot mess of jumbled thread but she was loving it.

Miss L's is on top and Miss S's is on the bottom - not bad for a first attempt!  So proud of my girls!!!


I have already had them get out of bed once to ask if they can do more hand sewing tomorrow - I guess it was a hit!  

Now that all three of them are in bed its time to clear the nook out and get going on sandwiching and pinning the Eye Spy quilt.  Hopefully I can complete and share that one soon.  

Thanks for stopping by - see you tomorrow!



2 comments:

  1. You have such great ideas to entertain your children, Kari. Their projects turned out so cute. Can't wait to see the follow-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo brings back memories, I used to love sewing at their age (although their efforts are much more impressive than mine!).
    How have you been since Blogtoberfest? I just wanted to let you know that I'm hosting another (albeit gentler and more introspective) blog challenge over the month of December called #reverb12. Would be so rapt if you joined us!
    There's a little giveaway too. :-)
    Details here: http://isawyoudancing.blogspot.com.au/p/reverb12.html
    Take care,
    Kat xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...