Tuesday, June 7, 2011

My First Quilt Along!

I was perusing my blog roll this morning and came across a new Quilt Along that just started today over at Skippity Do Dah Quilts and jumped in with both feet!  I'm super excited and hoping that I didn't bite off more than I can chew!!

Its a 12 week quilt along and when I'm finished I'll have 12 fully completed quilt blocks for the quilt top.  As much as I would have loved to run out and bought a bunch of fabric for this quilt along I made a promise to myself that I'll just use the fabric in my stash and see what I come up with.  That being said I have a wide range of totally girly fabrics that don't necessarily go together.

This is a portion of what I was trying to go through to figure out what fabrics might work well with this quilt.  I've got a bunch of cheap'ish fabric from my local Fabricland but only a few pieces work together with each other so I think its going to be a VERY wild, busy and crazy quilt by the end of the 12 weeks but thats ok - thats what scrap quilts are all about or at least what I keep telling myself!


I finally decided on four fabrics that I'm pretty sure that I like together.  Part of me wants to run to the fabric store to find a 'better' boarder fabric BUT I'm sticking to my guns and not going to buy anything for the quilt top (I'll need to get some batting and backing but thats a different story!!).  


I had originally taken this picture as an EPIC FAIL picture since I thought we were cutting the 5 big squares as pinwheels and I thought I messed up but after re-reading the instructions I realized I didn't screw up and thats always a good feeling!!!


This is the block top laid out before having the smaller blocks pieced together.  I had managed to sew the bottom row together then my sewing machine kept messing up on me and eating my fabric.  After switching thread, turning the machine off for a while, cleaning some extra lint out, giving it a good whack and yelling at it I finally had to turn it off for the night before I started 'Angry Sewing'.  Angry Sewing is a bad, bad thing since I always manage to do way more damage than good when I get into a huff trying to sew.


Hopefully my machine will be in a better mood tomorrow when I start back on it and finish the rows and add the boarder to it.

Week 1 almost finished - 11 more weeks to go!!!

1 comment:

  1. I hate when the sewing machine acts up! Sounds like you did all the right things. How's your needle? Do you use leaders?

    The fabrics you've selected are going to make a wonderful quilt!

    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...